Sunday, April 10, 2011

Spring Floods and Baby Eagles

Our spring has really arrived. The 70's and humidity has spurred thunderstorms and thankfully we were missed by some severe ones. The fog held on our flooded river bottoms as the humidity clashed with the icy water.

We have been enjoying watching the eagles nest in Decorah, IA, with its three baby eaglets that hatched last weekend.

Work-wise (if you can call it that) I've been doing a big variety of "prep" projects. Some stained glass patterns, some watercolors (I'm just a beginner in that realm), I blew out some of our multitude of goose eggs which I'll paint on or decorate in some fashion, and then I found some gourds left in the garden from last fall. They are the hard shell variety (didn't know that before!) and I cleaned those up and have a few bud vases and a snack bowl to paint. VARIETY is my middle name. Don just chuckles about my "crafts".

Stained Glass
I made this hanging lampshade for Don's cousin, a Vietnam vet, who wanted a red, white and blue shade to which I added a personalization of his unit. Drawing patterns is a constant task and I will be starting the stained glass for Laddee's Garden at Refuge Farm this week.

Greenhouse Growings On
Now that we are out of freezing nights my lettuce and kale seedling have started making some progress in the hoop house. Can't wait for some homegrown greens. I feel bad that I'm under utilizing it for starting plants, but without heat, I just have to wait for Mother Nature to warm up. It will still give seedlings a head start. It just takes a little longer.

Fine Art 
I'm making progress on three small oil paintings I started last week and I'll get some photos together this week. I have been popping from one project to the next while I still have time........ because Friday we get our new puppy! And life will change once again at this crazy place we call Catfish Corner!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Can't wait to see pictures, especially of your new puppy. Your talent constantly amazes me. Thanks for allowing us to see your work. I too have been enjoying the eaglets.
Odie