Thursday, September 9, 2010

Death and a Mutant

Talk about disappointing. I've been watching the chrysalis every day and it just seemed stalled out. There was a reason for that. Yesterday I noted that a small hole had been chewed into the top and the developing butterfly was no longer viable. Drat. We were looking forward to a lovely monarch to hatch from Catfish Corner. Then I discovered, to top it off, one of the barred rock hens decided to die which added to the cheery mood.

Exercise seemed in order so I went out to the garden and dug up pails full of potatoes. Now that's a treasure hunt--for gold. Yukon Gold to be exact! I have some huge beauties and lots of "small potatoes", too. The reds are plentiful as are the russets. I still have lots more to dig, but they can hold on for awhile. The tomatoes and peppers are winding down but I managed to fill a couple more pails. After awhile, Don and Helga came out to check on me and I suggested they go back for the truck to haul home the bounty.

In years past, I have always highlighted what I call the "Mutant of the Year". It's usually in the carrot or radish department and I was tickled to find this diminutive example to present as this year's winner. Isn't she cute?!
Mutant of the Year  - 2010

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Cool! I showed my hubby the carrot and he said "Wow, is that the way it was born!?" so now I'm poking fun at him!! Very cool mutant you have there!

Kristen Haskell said...

I love the Mutant of the year. That is very funny.