Tuesday, November 16, 2010

More Weirdness

Don was disturbed to discover Helga urinating blood late yesterday afternoon. Eeekk!  He called the vet immediately and they told us to catch a sample and bring it into the office this morning. Later in the evening, I noticed her right eye was bulging and was turning color and not reflecting the light right. We headed into the office this morning with her in tow and hadn't realized until she was examined that her gums were bleeding!

She was immediately given Vitamin K to help her blood to clot---the vet suspected she had ingested rat poison!! We never, no, I mean NEVER have or ever had rat poison on our property--for this very reason. We are completely at a loss as to how this could have happened.

The vet took several vials of blood for testing and we hope to find out by this afternoon if it might remotely be tick related, or if it indeed was due to being poisoned.  She is also sending a sample to the U of M for a clotting profile to determine if there are any other reasons for this to be happening--like hemophilia.

It's been a very disturbing morning to say the least. On the good side, her blood-filled eye has normal pressure and although her condition is serious, it's not at a critical stage so she has gotten treatment in time. 

2 comments:

Odie Langley said...

Sherri I am so sorry this has happened. We had a similar situation with our little (taco bell) Rocky when he had a seizure and fell onto his side. Didn't last very long but scared us to death. We went to the vet on to find out it is common for his species and then came the $800 bill. Now he take Phenabarbito and alergy meds every day and is doing just great. Sometimes having a pet can get pretty crazy. He is the love of our life though and we are so blessed to have him. Hope everything improves quickly for you.
Odie

Sandy said...

Oh Sherri,
This is terrible! I sure hope they find out what it was and they can treat her soon! How misrable she must be! :(